How does writing a blog help me become the best CFO in the world?
- Improved communication - Writing is a communication skill and communication is essential to leadership. My writing tends to be step-by-step how-to's or emails. Blogging requires forethought and organization. There is a skill in taking an concept, breaking it down, and communicating it to an audience.
- Life-long learning - Can you teach others what you just learned? There is an adage that the best way to learn something is to turn around and teach it. This blog is a means of reinforcing and applying what I have learned.
- Personal growth - Are you a better person today than you were yesterday? Blogging provides an excellent medium for personal reflection. There something about putting a thought to writing that really clarifies the thought.
- Better Time Management - Do I really have time for another hobby? When responding to someone's gasp after announcing she was pregnant again, Kimberly Hahn quipped, My children take up all of my time so another can't take up anymore. Anytime we decide take on another responsibility or goal, be it exercising, blogging, or children something's got to change. That forces one to either give up bad habits, become more efficient, prioritize better, or learn to delegate. Do I really need to watch that TV show, or finish that poorly-written book, or click just one more link?
- Stress Relief - Blogging is fun. I enjoy reading, learning, reflecting, and writing. And it is much better mental activity than sitting in front of the boob tube.
- Personal Branding - Does the web know who you are? If you are reading this, then you are on the web. If you are on the web, then you have a brand. The question is, do you have control of your brand? If not, you should.
- Networking - One of the comments below reminded me of this crucial benefit to blogging. Cindy Craft said it well, Network even when you don’t “need” to be networking. Your network is never more valuable then when you are in a position to help others ... because that earns you the right to ask for help when you need it. (updated 2009/01/07)
Top 6 Tips to Recession-Proof Your Career
27 Blogging Secrets to Power Your Community